5.21.2006

On Music


Ever get that feeling when you meet someone that you're really going to like him or her, but there's also something just a little threatening there that you don't like? Like for me, I like music an abnormal amount. I used to take pride in knowing more about it than others, but I finally figured out I loved thinking I knew more about music than I was actually loving the music. I've since changed my priorities, and now it's all about the music. That said, I still get a little jazzed about knowing more than the next guy. But as I get older and meet more people, I find more people know just as much and often a hell of lot more than I do.

For example, have a friend now who knows more than me, and I think he does because he loves music more than I do. And he lives the life more than I do now. And it's probably more important to him than it is to me right now. And that's saying something. But having kids makes you rearrange and retract when you used to plow ahead and expand. So, anyway, I don't like that feeling of being the backup guy. But it's good to be humbled, and it's good to be in awe, and it's good to know you have smart friends.

No comments: