5.30.2006

Lunch


I never eat lunch in the breakroom. I never eat lunch at my desk either if I can help it. It's not that I don't like the company. I just can't stand the thought of not being able to leave that "work" mode for even an hour during the day. My mind already spends too much time there the way it is. I have to get it and my body away or I go insane. I don't dislike what I do, but there has to be a balance. If I'm not eating lunch with my wife or friends or kids, I usually spend the time alone, which is just as important. Time alone heals.

Mostly I spend my lunches in parks or by the lake. It's peaceful without being completely solitary. I like to watch the ducks swim, and the ground squirrels begging for food is pretty hard to resist. I find they like French fries above most other things, although I try to throw some lettuce once in awhile to keep things evened out. Most days I try to walk around the lake if there's time. Eases the guilt of kicking back all those cheeseburgers.

I read some writing once from a Zen teacher concerning the importance of meals, and even more so, what the actual meals represent. Each bite is building something new, transferring you into something different. Be thankful of where the food comes from. Take knowledge in all those who helped bring it to its final product. I try to look at the parks and lakes in the same way, primarily in what they offer me and my well-being. Most days I succeed. Other days there's plenty of reminders present to keep me in line. When I being to neglect the importance of space and time and thought and reason, I'm usually able to recognize it, but it takes some help to turn the neglect into something less difficult to contain.

No comments: