6.01.2006

What are you looking at?

I wonder about people who don't like animals. I understand why (I guess), but I don't know how those people become those people. What's not to like, other than the poop, fur, noise, chewed up shoes, vet bills, and their impending deaths. Ah, the impending deaths. That's the kicker.

When our dog recently died, the first question a lot of people asked was, "So, are you going to get a new dog now?" What the hell's up with that. "Um, are you going to get a new mother?" "Are you going to get a new uncle?" Yeah, I'm probably going to get a pet soon, and I understand that all people aren't comfortable with the whole death thing, but come on, man.

Seriously, I'm not a pet freak, and in fact, they get on my nerves as much as any person does time and again, but they also have been more loyal, faithful, trustworthy, and sympathetic than just about any human I've known. Maybe I haven't known the right people, or maybe animals are just better than us. They haven't seemed to have forgotten the concept of integrity and truth. Man, even when a pet is deceitful, they don't go to great lengths to cover it up. They just run away or tuck their head between their legs and accept your disapproval. Guess what happens then? They move on. Seems like a good way to live life.

No comments: