3.16.2011

Problem vs. Inconvenience

I think I'm pretty good about realizing when a problem is really a problem and when it should probably just be recast as an "inconvenience." Take, for example, the water pipe situated between my home's upstairs and the recently renovated downstairs that days ago cracked and proceeded to spew what I'm guessing was dozens of gallons of water before being noticed. Naturally, a steady stream of water dripping down basement walls, as well as an obvious pool of water collecting above the ceiling, was a cause for concern. Some people on the scene cried. I chose not to. More interesting was that I really wasn't all that upset and what had transpired. And for several days, I was more bothered about why I wasn't all that bothered about the wreckage. Sure, all the hours I had spent the prior few weeks ripping up carpet, dry walling holes, and painting walls seemed a bit pointless facing what was a sagging ceiling and carpet so saturated we'd ultimately be able to pull gallon after gallon out of it. Still, we were talking about drywall and carpet--not the two most terribly important materials in the world. And we were talking about a basement that realistically amounts to nothing more but extra space in which we can come to be entertained, educated, enlightened, or amused--not a mandatory living area where we sleep, eat, and escape. This wasn't an entire home being pummeled or swept away by a tsunami or earthquake. There was nothing of great value lost. No one was injured. Hell, barely anyone outside those living in the house even knew or cared. Why would they? What really was there to be mad about? Lost time and money? Maybe? But neither are worth my tears or anger in this case. I think the older I become, the more I realize there's always a choice as to who or what we hand over our anger and disappointment. I'm learning that there is almost always at least a minute or two to contemplate truly what has taken place and then pass an accurate judgment concerning its severity. At the least, it feels a hell of lot better feeling unlucky than feeling bitter. 

No comments: